Monday, March 16, 2015

Leviticus 12:6

Leviticus 12:6 states that when the mother's days of purification are fulfilled, she is to bring a one year old lamb to the priest for a burnt offering and a young pigeon or turtledove as a sin offering, to the door of the tabernacle of meeting. From this verse, I'm not sure nor remember what the door of the tabernacle of meeting is, but the last few verses said that the mother was now able to enter into the sanctuary. I think the same restriction would apply for a regular man as well. It's just that God called the males in the tribe of the Levites, which is where Moses belongs, to be priests. The priests were the ones who performed the sacrifices, while being under God's command. 

The same sacrifice of a one year old lamb and young pigeon or turtledove applied for whether the baby was male or female. I'm thinking right now that God atones for everyone's sins without gender discrimination. I'm just trying to take a little feminist's perspective because I thought it would be fun to approach it in that context. I personally believe it's wrong to have a chauvinistic attitude and believe women are just as important as men, too. I favor either side more in certain situations though, just like I'm sure others would as well. 

In addition, I notice that this verse was now using a young pigeon or turtledove instead of the bull or ram that was used for a sin offering. This is really interesting in that I'm not sure right now, if these animals were used differently only under God's discretion. The beginning chapters mentioned the different types of animals that were used, as it was listed out, but whatever God says would pretty go, I suppose, even though I don't fully understand this yet.