Thursday, November 10, 2016

Typical View About Managing Success

In the world of Information Technology, three basic concepts run it: input, process, and output. Input in layman terms is basically what you are starting with. Process is doing the work to turn input into output. Output is the end product that can be sold on the market. As a Computer Science major, some of my old-time college professors occasionally mnemonized to us the acronym KISS which stands for keep it simple stupid (!). Henceforth, the invention of computer microchips by technologically savvy enthusiasts that perform complicated tasks from shuffling around two numbers - 1s and 0s.

From this proper anecdote, I'm able to draw upon three basic things for achieving success and staying consistently happy: patience, commitment, and reevaluation. Startling relating this to IT which is my undergraduate field of study, you may find it still easy to understand. Patience is what you are starting with or is going in to your systematic setup. Commitment is the process that you will be go through to achieve success, which includes hard work and sticking to it. Reevaluation will be gauging how you are feeling or your level of interest after obtaining some moderate results. It's pretty much then a rinse, clean, and repeat agenda.

Where I've found lacking in patience has taken me is that while trying to score high on my IQ tests, I quickly dismissed a couple bizarre questions from feeling time constrained. After receiving the answer and going back to review it, I probably gloated for over an hour regardless due to my senseless time management skills until I realized I can solve the problem. What I'm getting out of this is that if I had willed myself to hang on longer, I would have tested as an absolute genius that matches Stephen Hawking. However, I'm just a smart guy in the normal crowd with an IQ of 140.

Commitment is in a way like playing with fire. I was so committed to staying on top of consistently beating my friend Angel who has obsessively tried to keep on getting better. He is a formidable opponent now compared to how he was when he first started. From mentoring him like I was his "Yoda" with my supposedly unbeatable deck, he lit up with so much excitement when he ended up with consistently introducing decks and reckless ideas that would deliver my game to the abyss.

Reevaluating is so hard to stay true to especially when you know that feel-good and awesome, heart-pounding activity with a partner might be constraining your other commitments. Anyhow with Angel, I ended up playing a little too many fun games that would turn it into sleepless nights for me. Driving home tried at 5 am after checking in his place at like 11 pm? I guess I wasn't having it anymore.

Inspiring others is definitely a thing I see you can do if you master success and stay happy with it. With Angel, I realized that I was just a human guinea pig with my already established decks. He ended up assenting to me saying that I need to focus my efforts elsewhere for awhile to get things back in order for me. I let Angel indefinitely borrow all of my prized decks so that he could mock play with his own decks. I parted from this game in true and gentle spirit. I told him, "Get a job that you like and then I'll be back playing with you." Expected time frame? About a few years. Angel was already proposing on steps he'll take to invigorate his income earnings by the time I left his doorstep. Instead of feeling dreaded from losing a valuable playing partner, Angel had a sense of peace in him. "Buy me an Angel Horror card [pun unintended] for $30 for my birthday", Angel requested.