Saturday, May 24, 2014

Job 31

Job 31 was simply put an amazing chapter to go through. There are definitely some things in here I can model off of while living on Earth. Honestly, instead of forcing myself to forget about the bad things now; I'm just going to allow God to heal my heart and to also make the effort to endure it now and at the same time be a very hard working individual.

Job 31:1 says:
I have made a covenant with my eyes;Why then should I look upon a young woman? 

I can honestly say that I struggle with this a little because from being a guy and looking forward to certain enjoyment, I get tempted with getting carried away. However, I can't really see myself ever committing the physical act of lusting after a beautiful woman, but my emotions have been like all over the place. The New Testament points out that it would be the worst, physical sin to commit against our bodies because they are like temples. The Bible states it's supposed to be enjoyed in a marriage, and I guess some people would rather get the fun and try it out instead of waiting. 

Job 31:7-8 says:

If my step has turned from the way,
Or my heart walked after my eyes,
Or if any spot adheres to my hands,
Then let me sow, and another eat;
Yes, let my harvest be rooted out.

I believe that Job was willing to accept his full consequences for all of his iniquities. Whenever we sin, it causes a destructive rift, and it might look like others could be taking advantage of us. I think it's really about our hearts being in the right place. I recall that sometimes good people just get angry and have their moment of giving a fit; it's honestly something I really hated with enduring, but now I'm just taking it in. 

Job states in Job 31:11-12 that chasing after another man's wife is an iniquity deserving of judgement and would be a fire that consumes to destruction and roots out all increase. In a way, it does totally keep us from being productive and sidetracked  and also there would have to be some cover up that takes place. Honestly, with so many people in this world- why go after this one person who joined and vowed to be with another? 

Job 31:15 states that man has all been formed in the same fashion from the womb. I think sometimes people in high places forget their place and might abuse their servants. It's pretty humbling to know that we all began with a humble start. We were all helpless and unaware children at one point, which would make us innocent beginnings! I recall having some aggressive and angry conscience as a child and maybe some destructive imaginations of being a conqueror and oppressing others. 

For Job 31:19-23, it looks like Job was a very generous individual, and he took on his role of helping the needy very seriously. 

Job 31:24-28 says:


“If I have made gold my hope,
Or said to fine gold, ‘You are my confidence’;
25 If I have rejoiced because my wealth was great,
And because my hand had gained much;
26 If I have observed the sun[a] when it shines,
Or the moon moving in brightness,
27 So that my heart has been secretly enticed,
And my mouth has kissed my hand;
28 This also would be an iniquity deserving of judgment,
For I would have denied God who is above.


There are so many things in this world that could entice us to not place God first. From being human, I think it's easy for us to forget about our roots. Then again, maybe some of us don't even have that beginning of going to church and learning about God. I would like to place God first over everything else now and to do the best I can while living in this world. I'm going to try to work hard and being a giving person to others.