Monday, August 27, 2018

Making Money From Having Fun

I have been playing a legal version of online U.S. poker for a little bit of money. I started out with a bankroll of $50 and played for only $2.50 each sit-in and all of a sudden in a couple weeks, I have made $30 from only risking that little and not playing for a long time. I'm starting to feel worn out because it's only very fun when you are making money easy. By easy I mean for like my first hand, I would get pocket aces and then double up and then just leave the table. Those are fun moments!

I think I'm not a true poker fan because it's only fun when I'm winning and making money. Other than that, it sucks to lose even if the other opponent outplayed me and I think they had a very nice hand which I comment in my head. It's pretty much like a job then and I don't really want to spend hours paying my dues by giving money away and then catching my break from less skilled players.

From thinking about it, poker doesn't feel very rewarding to me and I want to spend the least amount of time possible at it while maximizing my earning. Because of its fickle nature which is mathematically measured by variance, I'm going to avoid it because I have many sessions where I go from $2.50 down to $0.80 and then to get back to $2.00 and then go down to $1.00 and then go back up to $1.50 and then go back down to $0.90 and then catch a break to work up to $1.75 and then leave the table at $3.30 after playing for about an hour and totaling about 300 hands!

The reason why I played this game was because a super turbo mode was offered and it's very popular with hundreds of players competing against one another. It's like let go of a bad hand and then fish for another good hand and then compete to take the chips away. From a business model standpoint, the poker scene doesn't really fit my ideology so I'll be looking to have fun with honing my trading skills which offer a greater strategy to match my preferences.