Friday, June 4, 2010

My Laptop Broke

I'm sitting here on my dad's laptop at his home office and really disappointed that my old HP laptop decided to like self-destruct. The problem that I had with it was that it was really too noisy. This noisiness is basically an indication that the system was overheating too much because of possibly foreign substances and other things. I really didn't do anything about the noise level because I just didn't care about how noisy it was. At the library, I felt a little embarrassed that it would sound so noisy compared to the other laptops. I found out through a little googling that the old HP models with the laptops had an overclocked NVIDIA chip, which is a really well-known and good brand for display cards. The overclocked chip causes the system to overheat. It was part of the mainboard. I was pretty shocked to discover that I couldn't really open up my labtop as it's not designed to really be repaired. I did manage to salvage some parts, like the DVD burner and hard drive before throwing away the chasis. I also opened it up to see what was going on there and teared open some sticky covers to see what was underneath. I kept on fiddling with it to see if there would be any improvement. I'm not really that mad because I bought the laptop for a good deal and it served me well throughout the last 3 years I had it for. I guess I just left the laptop running all the time and didn't give it a break by turning it off. Some of the spyware that it accidentally downloaded kept the computer running continuously so it kept on overheating with the hogged resources. Oh well, it was time for the laptop to go. I was complaining about it to myself a little because the finger pad would get so hot. I have a nice job now so buying a new laptop does not really kill my income or anything. I just have a valuable experience for myself and maybe I'll actually spend a lot more later to keep a computer for a very long time and capable of running even after facing a lot of adverse events.

After all, the problem was with the display because nothing came out. I'm concluding that the onboard chips decided to give out and that it's better to buy a new laptop now then to fix this laptop to get my money's worth on the long run. I think next time my laptop gets too noisy then I have to seriously do something about it like possibly cleaning it physically or looking for more software updates. I think I got handed the short stick because the hardware was a little unstable this time. I still think HP is a valuable laptop manufacturer and pretty durable with the later models and I do see improvement in my dad's laptop which is also an HP. It's like a 20 inch wide screen with some high end parts.