Thursday, February 25, 2016

How I'm Studying the Bible

I'm just following a daily Bible reading plan on my iPhone. When I don't understand a verse, I have started to just look up some traditional commentaries just to get a better feel for the verse. I can't say it's completely accurate, but it really does set the mood for wanting to be spiritual though. I have found biblehub.com which has commentaries to read from if you select a verse. With differing views, it's been a great introduction to examine a few perspectives from Biblical scholars when I really had no idea what it meant.

I have been skipping out on praying to God before reading the Bible. It feels like a ritual to me, if I were to do that. I think of reading the Word as something that is just a daily and normal part of me. I don't really think much about it. I don't have any disdain for the Word, neither do I feel intimidated about reading something that could pertain to me in a bad way.

I guess now that I mentioned it, the Bible does mention to pray without ceasing. Okay, I coaxed my heart into saying just a quick one haha! In the Christian way, every prayer ends with in the name of Jesus and Amen because that's where believers are hoping it gets to.