Saturday, December 5, 2015

One of those Magic the Gathering Nights

My MTG deck looks very powerful in the modern format and might also be competitive with some older style formats as well. I played my buddy all night until like 4:00 am after I visited his place at 11:00 pm. It was a whole lot of fun! I kept on beating him multiple times, even though he got me a few times. His deck is basically composed of my deck's weaknesses.

The key to winning against the weak parts of my deck was to basically create a strong sideboard, which is 15 additional cards that you can switch out in between games. This has been made legal in the professional tournament circuit. I only needed to sideboard half of my original deck, but those 8 cards really can make a difference in game play against his. My buddy was so convinced of my hot streak that he is considering obtaining the cards that I've used against his. He is pretty convinced that maybe his deck will become invulnerable once he tries it on his.

I'm actually a little skeptical about that. It's just that those cards work very well against his. This is pretty much the run down of what I'm playing in case anyone was wondering. I'm running a control deck with leveling creatures. The counter-spells and Path to Exile cards really disrupt his ultra-speed burn deck that relies on taking out the opponent with quick momentum before he or she bounces back. In addition, I've added in the really sought-after Spellskite which is just a two cost artifact creature and costs about a hefty 22 dollars to purchase. The Spellskite is noteworthy for redirecting spells that can target creatures to it, so it works fairly well against the famous lightning bolts my buddy loves to use. I'm also running the cheap two-cost Aegies of the Gods which gives me hexproof against his powerful burn spells.

The games have been really close where he's brought my life down to 5 starting at 20 life. It becomes a close game, but my deck has been edging out the wins because of those control cards. I think the ingenuity of my deck is that it has life gaining capabilities and can do a massive amount of damage because I utilize my leveling creatures efficiently with the counter-spells.