Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Considering Career Changes vs. 4 Year Degree

I currently have a reputable degree in Computer Science so I think I have already nailed 50% of my journey if I am going to go that route. A nice tech guy who I networked with told me that some tech companies can count 4 year degrees as about two years experience. What everybody seems to be doing to get a standard job in the I.T. industry is get some certificates, related to their field. This is a vexing detail that I have a hard time explaining to my mom.

Even though I.T. personnel command highly respectable job positions, I read on the Best Jobs in America list that I.T. personnel can expect to put in a lot of hours of meeting times and contend with deadlines. That's one of my worst nightmares, unfortunately. If I were to go away from the top-tier I.T. jobs, then I would probably be wanting to find fast money by making good investments. I would not really call that a job but more of living in a loophole and leaving the rat race that many don't seem to mind being a part of.

I'm also really hazy about changing my position now. I think my demand would logically be to get the best job for myself because it would connect really well dealing with everything in my living condition. My mom has asserted with me that I'm great dealing with computers and that I even look the part. I have had several of these assertions that I would be a good techie. I have even managed to be the top of my class in my major occasionally, so this should not be a surprise for me that I could outperform the pack. I think looking for other jobs would compromise my time in finding a job that I want to work with and that maybe I'll always come with drawbacks. The biggest drawback that I experienced in my short career has been long hours wherever I go. Working is just pretty much going to deal with me putting in a lot of hours and this is probably how it is for most people. I really love being around computers. Therefore, I'm making this full and decisive conclusion to become a I.T. personnel and blocking out any additional worries for now on.