Tuesday, May 11, 2010

IT Job Growth Statistics

During 2008-2018, the government projects that the fastest growing job group will contribute to about 17 percent or about 5.2 million jobs. (bls.gov) My line of study belongs to this field, Computer Science.  The Computer Science and Math field belong to a group that is expected to grow twice as fast in occupations or about 785,000 jobs. The information sector which includes data processing, hosting, and related services is projected to add about 100,000 jobs. From doing additional searching, the fastest growing IT jobs include network systems and network security. A website claims that a decline of computer programmers is steadily happening.

An interesting digression for me is that the economy is also in growing demand for health practitioners. Most notably, the Physician's Assistant boasts a steady salary of 91,000 / year. When I told people I was considering on changing to the medical field, some people seemed to tear up or appear a little shaken by my claim of wanting to do that.

Overall, I think I've been really ignorant with my abilities to find the best job for me. By not really steadily pursuing a notable job with my degree, I'm feeling really foolish. What I think I could do to be more marketable is add an extra certification in managing Microsoft Office, which would not be that difficult for me to pick up.