Sunday, December 25, 2011

Temperature Dropping, Hands Shivering

The weather has been a little unusual for me. Being in the south-east coast of the United States, I was expecting it to snow and be freezing below 0 degrees Celsius. I did get to feel that type of weather in my one-man Army tent. It was very cold, and it wouldn't matter how much extra layers of clothes I put on; sleeping in that weather was not very fun at all for me. The only difference is that it was cold, but I never got to see snow. It did rain and my boots felt like they would freeze. I now see how having dry clothes and a good pair of boots actually helps. It's also important to keep them from getting wet- in war scenarios, keeping dry would be a challenging task in the snow but ensure survival.

I guess the Army is a place where everything moves along and can't afford too many distractions. In the civilian word, I would understand about some issues the soldiers have but when I'm in that uniform functioning as part of a team, I seem to get really annoyed about listening to them. I just want some common functionality and efficiency of tasks to take place; I can see how I would be really intense and not accepting of hearing some complaints from soldiers.

The Army is like a world of entering commitments and fully engaging the self to complete a mission. The soldier I was annoyed by was a complaining woman, but I didn't see her as a normal woman at the time. Since I'm on break, I'm just capable of alluding back to it. She just kept on complaining on how things were so hard and how the weather was too freezing for her. I think she really lost in touch with completing the mission we were called upon to do in Basic Combat Training. In reality, she is pretty normal and a normal person will be able to sympathize with her but she was not a normal soldier because I would really want her to be an efficient team member who would be able to look for me too.

I was really into the training- it was about executing everything perfectly and paying painstakingly close to every detail I did. I wanted smooth execution and to be fast at everything I did. Changing into combat uniforms from regular pajamas is not really easy to do rapidly, the best I've done is only ten minutes. I think the only time I really did change my clothes was when other battle buddies brought up that my uniform looked dirty or smelled. I would then change the next time and make myself clean again while doing laundry. Everything I did was about self-maintenance, the kind that would drive a decent housewife madly in love with you.